Foxit Mobile PDF SDK is a Rapid Development Kit for mobile platforms which focuses on helping developers easily integrate powerful Foxit PDF technology into their own apps. With Foxit Mobile PDF SDK, even developers with a limited knowledge of PDF can quickly build a PDF viewer with just a few lines of code.
- Easy-to-use PDF Viewer Control
- Customizable User Interface with Source Code
- Annotation and Attachment Tools
- Indexed Full-Text Searching
- Digital and Handwritten Signature Tools
- PDF Form Filling and Flattening
- Reflow/Crop PDF pages for better reading
- Protect PDFs by Certificate or Password
- Built on Foxit Technology used by billions of end-users
- Excellent Memory Management and Robust Performance
- iOS 9.0 or higher
- Xcode 7.0 or newer for Objective-C; Xcode 8.0 or newer for Swift
iOS package structure
The package of Foxit Mobile PDF SDK for iOS includes the following files:
- docs: A folder containing API references, developer guide.
- libs: A folder containing license files, SDK framework, UI Extensions Component and source code.
- samples: A folder containing iOS sample projects.
- getting_started_ios.pdf: This file.
- legal.txt: Legal and copyright information.
- release_notes.txt: Release information.
Running a demo in Xcode
Foxit Mobile PDF SDK for iOS provides three demos in Objective-C, and two demos in Swift for developers to learn how to call the SDK on iOS. You can find them in the “samples” or “samples/swift” folder. In this guide, it takes the “complete_pdf_viewer” demo as an example to show how to run it in Xcode.
- Double-click the complete_pdf_viewer.xcodeproj found in the “samples/complete_pdf_viewer” folder to open the demo in Xcode.
Note: There is another way to open the demo in Xcode: double-click the samples_xcworkspace found in the “samples” folder. It is a workspace including the three demos.
- Click on “Product -> Run” to run the demo on an iOS device or simulator. In this guide, an iPhone 7 Plus device will be used as an example. After building the demo successfully, on the start screen, click the “Sample.pdf”, and then it will be opened and displayed as the following:
The demo shows how to build a completely full-featured PDF viewer on the iOS platform with Foxit Mobile PDF SDK.
Integrating Foxit Mobile PDF SDK into your apps
There are two ways to integrate Foxit Mobile PDF SDK for iOS into your apps. You can choose what works best for you based on your requirements.
If you just want to use the default built-in UI implementations to develop your apps, for simplicity and convenience (use the UI extensions library directly, and don’t need to build the source code project), you need to include the following files:
- FoxitRDK.framework – The framework that includes the Foxit Mobile PDF SDK dynamic library and associated header files.
- libFoxitRDKUIExtensions.a – It’s a universal static library (for both simulator and iOS device) generated by the “uiextensions” project found in the “libs/uiextensions_src”folder.
Note: Please keep in mind that you should include the corresponding header files for the classes you need to use in libFoxitRDKUIExtensions.a. Just find them in the “libs/uiextensions_src/uiextensions” folder.
- Resource files – found in the “libs/uiextensions_src/uiextensions/resource” folder. They are needed for the default built-in UI implementations, such as images, strings and other resources.
If you want to customize your apps UI design related with PDF, you need to include the following files:
- FoxitRDK.framework – The framework that includes the Foxit MobilePDF SDK dynamic library and associated header files.
- uiextensions project – found in the “libs/uiextensions_src” folder. It is an open source library that contains some ready-to-use UI module implementations, which can help developers embed a fully functional PDF reader into their iOS app quickly and easily. Of course, developers are not forced to use the default UI, they can freely customize and design the UI for their specific apps through the “uiextensions” project.
Please see “developer_guide_ios.pdf” document in the “docs” folder for a step-by-step guide to create a new iOS app and integrate Foxit MobilePDF SDK into your apps.
Foxit offers 24/7 support for its products and are fully supported by the PDF industry’s largest development team of support engineers. If you encounter any technical questions or bug issues when using Foxit MobilePDF SDK, please submit the problem report to the Foxit support team at http://tickets.foxitsoftware.com/create.php. In order to better help you solve the problem, please provide the following information:
- Contact details
- Foxit MobilePDF SDK product and version
- Your Operating System and IDE version
- Detailed description of the problem
- Any other related information, such as log file or error or screenshot
- You can contact Foxit directly, please use the contact information as follows:
- Phone: 1-866-680-3668
- Email: email@example.com
Support & General Contact:
- Phone: 1-866-MYFOXIT or 1-866-693-6948
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org